For the friend who loves to entertain, there are lots of options for memorable and unique gifts. It's easiest to think of gift giving for the entertainer in terms of what makes a great party, from the decor as a guest walks up to the door, to the contemporary tableware used to serve the dessert. Let's explore gifts for each stage of the party.
- First impressions are important. Guests will notice a colorful and doormat, especially since people often don't worry about this detail. Bold designs here are also sure to grab the eye. Other outdoor decorations, such as statuary or lighting, can also dress up the front door and make great gifts.
- Fresh flowers make for simple and elegant centerpieces, so vases are sure to be loved by friends who often have people over for meals. From a few tall and skinny vases to one large circular vase, different options allow a host or hostess to create a unique atmosphere at each gathering. Find out what type of dining room table your friend owns and find the perfect vase to dress it up.
- For more intimate gatherings, hosts may choose to decorate the table with candles rather than flowers, in which case beautiful candle holders set a stunning mood. Give a set of either very short or tall holders so guests are still able to see each other across the table.
- Before guests can share a meal, there must be food. There are countless cookbooks to choose from, with some that outline the whole evening, from appetizers to main course to dessert. A thorough cookbook with accompanying photos serves as a good helper to any busy host. Look for unique titles with unique meal choices that will make an evening memorable.
- Serving pieces can do double duty as both a food holder and centerpiece. Give a beautiful tray, bowl or plate around which hosts will want to plan their decor.
- Table linens can be bold and attention-grabbing or mute to emphasize other items on the table, but having a variety on hand ensures the right look always is easy to pull off. Give some linens that coordinate with other colors in your friend's house.
- And good hosts would be remiss not to pay close attention to the dishes their guests actually touch and use during a party. While not often given as a gift, contemporary tableware makes a big impact on the overall feel of a party. Having a few sets of tableware allows for different moods to be easily created.
The next time you're tasked with giving a gift to the host or hostess in your life, think outside the box. Find something they'll truly treasure and have the opportunity to use time and time again. Party planning will be made even more enjoyable for them with the perfect decor, the perfect meal plan and the perfect tableware, and they'll get to remember you each time they pull out that special gift.